Al Gore and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) are the joint winners of this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced Friday.The 10 million kronor (US$1.5 million) award was jointly made for the recipients’ efforts to increase and disseminate knowledge about man-made climate change and to lay the foundations for what needs to be done to counteract such change, the committee said.”Al Gore has for a long time been one of the world’s leading environmentalist politicians,” the committee said. “His strong commitment, reflected in political activity, lectures, films and books, has strengthened the struggle against climate change. He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted.”The IPCC, meanwhile, “has created an ever-broader informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming,” the committee added. “Thousands of scientists and officials from over one hundred countries have collaborated to achieve greater certainty as to the scale of the warming.”The goal of the Norwegian Nobel Committee’s decision was “to contribute to a sharper focus on the processes and decisions that appear to be necessary to protect the world’s future climate, and thereby to… Read full this story
- The False Choice Between Economic Growth and Combatting Climate Change
- Neanderthal's resorted to CANNIBALISM thanks to climate change
- Al Gore to speak about climate change and politics at Tufts
- Climate change doubters want ‘global warming propaganda’ out of classrooms
- Why the Paris Agreement won't save us from climate change
- It’s worse than you think: The case for creating climate change panic
- Indefensible Fiction: Climate Change as Security Threat
- Climate change denier among those appointed to EPA science board
- Trump's failure to fight climate change is a crime against humanity
- People need to be scared about climate change. They also need to recognize that it’s not too late.
SCIENCE Nobel Honors Gore for Climate Change Battle have 311 words, post on www.technewsworld.com at October 12, 2007. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.