MELBOURNE – Venus Williams followed her sister Serena out of the Australian Open in the quarterfinals, both with losses to Serbian players.Venus went down, 7-6 (3), 6-4, to fourth-seeded Ana Ivanovic today, a day after defending champion Serena lost to No. 3 Jelena Jankovic. Ivanovic, who had never taken a set off Williams in four previous contests, is ino the semifinals for the third time at a Grand Slam and next faces first-timer Daniela Hantuchova, who beat Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-2, 6-2. In the other women’s semifinal, Jankovic will meet No. 5 Maria Sharapova, who ended top-ranked Justine Henin’s 32-match winning streak, 6-4, 6-0. After four straight losses to Venus Williams, including the semifinals at Wimbledon and the fourth round at the U.S. Open, the 20-year-old Ivanovic was stunned by the victory. “It was an amazing match and I’m just thrilled to get through,” the French Open finalist said. “In the last 18 months I’ve come a long way. She’s an amazing competitor and she was playing very well today.” A third Serbian player has a chance of making the semis at Melbourne Park, with men’s No. 3 Novak Djokovic playing David Ferrer of Spain in a later match. Defending champion… Read full this story
- Venus Williams Reacts to Stunning Wimbledon Loss as 15-Year-Old Coco Gauff Praises Her ''Idol''
- Serena, Venus set up Williams vs. Williams match at US Open
- Could teen prodigy Cori Gauff be the next Serena Williams?
- Vanessa Williams and Martha Stewart are among the star-studded crowd to watch Serena Williams steamroll to victory at the US Open
- Serena Williams shows fierce side with big beautiful hair and sheer dress as she unveils her collection at NYFW
- 'Beyond disappointed': Injured Serena withdraws from French Open before Sharapova clash
- Canadian Open: Serena Williams Powers Past Naomi Osaka, Simona Halep Retires Hurt
- Humiliation for Jeremy Corbyn as his Palace confrontation with Donald Trump over the NHS falls flat and he is kept apart from the President - who said he would NOT want the health service even 'on a silver platter'
- ‘View’ Hosts Call Out NBC Over Gabrielle Union’s Exit On ‘AGT’
- Melania Turns Heads In Gorgeous Vanilla Coat And Dress Combo Following Thanksgiving Weekend
Venus Williams follows Serena to exit; Justine Henin falls have 362 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at January 22, 2008. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.