The Football League is a league competition featuring professional football clubs from England and Wales. Founded in 1888, it is the oldest such competition in world football. It was the top level football league in England from its foundation in the 19th century until 1992, when the top 22 clubs split away to form the FA Premier League. Since 1992 it has had 72 clubs evenly divided into three divisions, which are currently known as The Championship, League One, and League Two.After four years of debate, The Football Association finally legalised professionalism on 20 July 1885. Before that date many clubs made illegal payments to “professional” players to boost the competitiveness of their teams, arousing the contempt of those clubs abiding by the laws of the amateur Football Association code. As more and more clubs became professional the ad-hoc fixture list of FA Cup, inter-county, and ‘friendly’ matches was seen by many as an unreliable stream of revenue, and ways were considered of ensuring a consistent income.A Scottish draper and director of Aston Villa, William McGregor, was the first to set out to bring some order to a chaotic world where clubs arranged their own fixtures. On 2 March 1888,… Read full this story
- Premier League: Arsenal Hit New Low As Crystal Palace Run Riot
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 7 and The League Season 3 Blu-ray and DVD Debut October 9th
- Premier League and FA Cup questions: Will Arsenal avoid early summer start? Will City break records?
- Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans
- Premier League hits and misses: Arsenal's problems grow, VAR helps Newcastle
- Premier League hits and misses: Old failings there for Arsenal, Newcastle get under Man City's skin
- Premier League talking points: Sergio Aguero stars but concerns for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- Premier League: Gabriel Jesus finds goal touch as Manchester City bounce back to thrash Burnley
- Bolton v Hull Premier League preview, predictions, stats and team news
- Premier League: Manchester United Inflict First Tottenham Defeat On Jose Mourinho As Liverpool Romp Clear
Football League & Premier League - 1888 to 2009 have 338 words, post on ezinearticles.com at April 30, 2009. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.