Ricky Romero is living the American Dream … in Canada. He grew up in a working-class, Mexican-American family. He avoided the gangs in his East Los Angeles neighborhood. He earned a baseball scholarship to Cal State Fullerton and pitched his team to a College World Series title. He became the Toronto Blue Jays’ first-round draft pick in 2005. He signed a $30.1 million contract extension last year. He made the first of what could be many Opening Day starts earlier this month. Oh, and one more thing: He’s dating Miss USA Rima Fakih. “I’m living the American Dream, playing the game I love,” Romero said at his locker on Tuesday, before the Jays opened a series against the New York Yankees. “And meeting her obviously has been awesome.” So, basically, Ricky Romero wins at life. And he’s winning in a way that will inspire fist bumps, rather than jealousy, from men whose wives or girlfriends don’t have tiaras. Many professional athletes would rather not discuss their personal lives, for reasons I completely respect. Society has gone goofy. Privacy isn’t what it used to be. Romero, though, reacted as an average 26-year-old might, when he was approached with some decidedly non-baseball… Read full this story
- PICTURED: Inside the $5 BILLION American Dream megamall as it opens its door in New Jersey - and it comes stocked with an indoor ski slope, roller coaster, water park along with its 450 stores
- Delayed by decades, the huge American Dream mall is opening
- Nickelodeon Universe theme park opening at American Dream mall in NJ
- More than 17 years in the making, American Dream megamall's story was shaped by retail's upheaval
- Massive American Dream mall opens but will shoppers come?
- Massive American Dream mall to open but will shoppers come?
- Obama: Apple's Steve Jobs is Living the American Dream
- If you want the American dream, 'you ought to move to Canada,' says Ford Foundation president
- New Jersey's American Dream mega-mall to debut indoor Nickelodeon theme park, ice rink on Friday
- Your 'Birth Lottery' Determines Your American Dream? - New Study
Jays’ Romero lives the American dream have 338 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 19, 2011. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.