Century 21 has given Banksy the boot. The famed downtown clothing emporium canceled a planned exhibit by the hype-driven graffiti artist after he dissed the design of 1 World Trade Center as a “disaster” that “looks like something they would build in Canada.” “Due to the recent controversial comments from Banksy on WTC, C21 has just decided to cancel the exhibit,” store spokeswoman Lindsey Kopp emailed Monday. “Sorry for the last-minute notice.” The retailer was supposed to be showcasing Banksy’s work at its flagship store Tuesday through Nov. 6. Kopp didn’t elaborate on the store’s decision, but it’s no surprise that the folks who own Century 21 might be sensitive about Banksy’s bashing what for many New Yorkers is a 104-story symbol of the city’s revival. Century 21 sits right across the street from the WTC site and was damaged during the 9/11 attacks. When the store reopened in March 2002, it was hailed as proof that downtown was rising from the near-dead. There was no immediate response from Banksy. But it could be just a matter of time before he goes after the store. After the New York Times passed on publishing his take-down of the tower that he… Read full this story
- Garment workers going unpaid as fashion labels cancel orders
- The Fashion World Mobilized When AIDS Struck. Now It’s Coronavirus.
- 'Stranded at sea': cruise ships around the world are adrift as ports turn them away
- The coronavirus pandemic could push 11 million people in Asia into poverty, World Bank warns
- How to spot a perfect fake: the world’s top art forgery detective
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding from March 21 to 22
- After The Coronavirus Passes, Your World Will Not Go Back To Normal
- What do futurists imagine for the post-coronavirus-pandemic world?
- Coronavirus live updates: ‘Greatest test that we have faced since the formation of the United Nations’
- Coronavirus live updates: ‘You’re scared’ — Nurse with COVID-19 is one of dozens afflicted in state
Century 21 cancels Banksy show after graffiti artist disses World Trade Center have 324 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 28, 2013. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.