By Robbie Meredith Published 14 September 2015 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Children at 90 primary schools across Northern Ireland are to be given lessons in preventing and combating abuse. The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) will deliver the ‘Keeping Safe’ programme. Lessons will begin in September 2016 and teachers will receive specially tailored training and resources. The Department of Education is providing £795,000 of funding for the project. About 9,000 children in all classes from primary one to primary seven in the selected schools will receive age-appropriate lessons in preventing emotional, physical, sexual and domestic abuse. Some schools already engage external organisations to deliver lessons on preventative safety as part of personal development and mutual understanding courses. The Department of Education, for instance, already funds the Women’s Aid Helping Hands programme in primary schools that teaches children how to recognise unsafe situations and to seek help. Threat But the NSPCC programme will focus on sexual abuse and bullying prevention, and will be evaluated in a randomised control trial over the two years of its delivery. If it is judged to be successful, it may then be rolled out to every primary… Read full this story
- LearningMole Educational Resource Marks a Northern Ireland Alexa First
- Northern Ireland Delegation in Atlanta to Honor Good Friday Agreement And to Create New Ties
- Struggling Malawi school gets 1.4M books from Melania Trump
- How a Harrisburg school won a coveted Blue Ribbon Award
- Live: Pope Francis Is Visiting Ireland Under a Cloud of Abuse Scandals
- 'John Hume in America' film on Ireland peace process comes to Western Mass.
- Macron Government Is Contemplating Offering Arabic Lessons In Public Schools, Education Minister Says
- Communication, resolving conflicts among lessons taught in South Euclid-Lyndhurst elementary schools
- A Year After Hurricane Maria, School Closures Make Trauma Worse For Puerto Rico's Children
- Scotiabank Golf 4 Cyber Safety Charity Event Raises $30,000 for Toronto Schools
Primary school children in Northern Ireland to get lessons on tackling abuse have 307 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at September 14, 2015. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.