Apple Inc. has dozens of software engineers in Canada building a car operating system, a rare move for a company that often houses research and development projects close to its Cupertino, California headquarters, according to people familiar with the matter. Many of the engineers working in Canada were hired over the past year and about two dozen came from BlackBerry Ltd.’s QNX, a leading automotive software provider, the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing details of a secret project. The engineers now work at an Apple office in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata, about a five-minute walk from QNX, the people said. Apple targeted QNX employees because of their experience developing fundamental components of operating systems and power management, a former QNX executive said. An Apple spokesman declined to comment. (Also see: Apple Tapping Brakes on Self-Driving Car Project: Report) The most notable Apple hire from QNX was its chief executive officer, Dan Dodge. Since joining Apple’s Project Titan car initiative early this year, he’s taken on a larger role overseeing the car operating system, splitting his time between Canada and California, the people said. Another notable addition is Derrick Keefe, who left QNX last year after… Read full this story
- Apple Electronics: Inside the Beatles' eccentric 1960s tech subsidiary that spawned color-changing paint, the robotic housewife and the 'memory phone'
- Apple reveals record setting preorders for iPhone 6s and says it expects to sell more than 10 MILLION in one weekend
- Chinese search giant Baidu teams up with Geely to build electric cars
- Epic Games, Spotify and Match Group form 'Coalition for App Fairness' to push Apple and Google into changing their app store rules
- Government urged to 'prove' the Apple and Google coronavirus contact tracing-app works by publishing data from Isle of Wight trial before its roll out later this week
- Watch as Sony starts to test its Vision-S electric car on European roads
- Microsoft joins in a new $2 billion investment in GM's self-driving car company
- Epic suing Apple and Google over Fortnite bans: Everything you need to know
- NHS Covid-19 app developers are 'urgently investigating' an Android bug after frustrated users receive mysterious 'loading' notification
- Apple says its new M1 Mac chip delivers better speed, battery life
Apple Said to Develop Car Operating System in BlackBerry Country have 366 words, post on gadgets.ndtv.com at October 26, 2016. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.