State leaders are moving forward with a plan that would direct about $1.3 billion to help homeowners rebuild from historic floods that swept Louisiana last year.But it could still be months before those housing programs are up and running, and leaders say even more money is needed from Congress to help the state fully recover.Gov. John Bel Edwards on Friday outlined his plan for the $1.2 billion that Congress set aside in December for the state’s recovery, including a plan for $935.4 million to homeowner programs, $80 million for rental programs and $50 million for business owners.That is on top of the $437.8 million allocated to the state in September – the bulk of which will go to homeowner programs for the elderly and disabled and the poor. The state submitted the final draft of that initial plan on Friday.”There is nothing easy about bouncing back from such a devastating natural disaster,” Edwards said Friday. “We’re certainly going to rebuild and recover and thrive like never before.”He also stressed his plan to go back to Congress to seek an additional $2 billion for aid.”We’re grateful for the amount of money we have been allocated so far, but make no mistake there… Read full this story
- John Bel Edwards slams tax cuts sought by GOP lawmakers, business groups
- GOP pushes $300M in virus aid for Louisiana business grants
- Emergency plan for delayed Louisiana elections gains approval after this change
- House GOP largely backing Louisiana governor's budget plan
- Dan Fagan: Wall Street Journal labels Louisiana a trial lawyer state
- Clashes ahead during coming week -- and beyond -- for GOP legislators and John Bel Edwards
- Louisiana is moving closer to meeting Trump's standards for reopening, John Bel Edwards says
- Dan Fagan: There's 'mounting evidence' Louisiana's coronavirus restrictions maybe weren't 'justified'
- Louisiana unlikely to see 'life as you knew it' before coronavirus for months, governor says
- Amid coronavirus recovery, Louisiana's casinos reopen with sanitizer, temperature checks
Gov. Edwards updates Louisiana flood recovery status: Months to go, billions still needed have 315 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at January 6, 2017. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.