Cyberpunk 2077 remains mostly a conglomerate of conjecture and speculation amidst the small details that CD Projekt RED has strategically sprinkled out. But with The Witcher 3 firmly in the rearview mirror, and the free-to-play Gwent being the only game currently at the forefront of the studio’s operations, all eyes are on Cyberpunk 2077 and its inevitable reveal.
CD Projekt RED had previously secured $7 million in government funding to research “Seamless Multiplayer,” and it seems that they are using that money to build something with an eye towards keeping Cyberpunk 2077 relevant for the long haul. CD Projekt RED CEO Adam Kiciński told Strefa Inwestorow (via TechRaptor) that multiplayer was “necessary” to achieve “long-term success” when asked if the game would have it.
“We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher. I can’t say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant.
Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success. At some point, we have mentioned that there will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk.”
Naturally, Kiciński remained hesitant about providing specifics, but it would seem at first glance that CD Projekt RED will look to incorporate some form of the Games as a Service model. Other open-world games like Final Fantasy XV and Shadow of War have included such things as online cross-over events and loot boxes (respectively), so it’s possible that Cyberpunk 2077 could look to do similar things.
For now, all we can do is speculate.
- Why Cyberpunk 2077 Is Taking So Long
- ‘Evolution not revolution’: New Sleaford Town chairman targets long-term success
- Glass half full: Charlie Daniels says staying positive has been key to long-term success
- Cyberpunk 2077 Is A Violent, Impressive Blend Of Deus Ex And The Witcher 3
- First look: Cyberpunk 2077 is the best game at E3 2018
- Cyberpunk 2077 has finally been revealed at E3 2018
- Cyberpunk 2077 will be a FPP RPG with classless character progression, wallrunning and more
- Cyberpunk 2077's E3 Demo Left Me a Little Cold
- Eyes-On: Cyberpunk 2077 will prove that cyberpunk isn't dead
- Why is Cyberpunk 2077 taking so long? An interview with CD Projekt Red's co-founder