American actor George Clooney has called for a boycott of nine Brunei-owned hotels over the sultanate’s imposition of the death penalty for gay sex and adultery. “Every single time we stay at or take meetings at or dine at any of these nine hotels we are putting money directly into the pockets of men who choose to stone and whip to death their own citizens for being gay or accused of adultery,” Clooney wrote on website Deadline Hollywood. “I’ve learned over years of dealing with murderous regimes that you can’t shame them. But you can shame the banks, the financiers and the institutions that do business with them and choose to look the other way,” he added. The nine hotels are located in the US, Britain, France and Italy. Brunei will implement the harsh new penal code — which also mandates amputation of a hand and foot for theft — starting next Wednesday. Homosexuality is already illegal in the tiny sultanate, but it will now become a capital offence. The law only applies to Muslims. Read also: https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2019/03/15/george-and-amal-clooney-on-justice-mission-for-women-and-gay-people.html” target=”_blank”>George and Amal Clooney on justice mission for women and gay people Brunei first announced the measures in 2013, but implementation has… Read full this story
- George Clooney reportedly engaged to British human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin
- George Clooney endorses Hillary Clinton in a gleaming email, calling the presidential candidate the 'one consistent voice'
- That's a wrap! Meghan's star-studded baby shower comes to end with VIP guests including Amal Clooney, Gayle King and Jessica Mulroney departing the $300,000 penthouse baby shower (but mom Doria missed it)
- Amal Clooney hires private jet for Meghan Markle’s baby shower
- George Michael's sister Melanie Panayiotou dies suddenly at 59 on 3rd anniversary of his death
- Anatomy of an Oscars Boycott: Why Will Smith and Others Are Taking a Stand
- Shocking New Reveals From Sony Hack: J. Law, Pitt, Clooney, Star Wars and Comparing Fincher to Hitler
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's VERY starry new social circle: From George and Amal Clooney to Oprah Winfrey, ALISON BOSHOFF on the not-so regal A-list celebrity set who'll welcome them with open arms
- The power players who will help Prince Harry and Meghan Markle forge their new identity: Couple can call on Oprah's US media contacts, Edward Enninful's fashion connections and Jessica Mulroney's political links in Canada
- Respectable showing for British actors as ex-spouses square up for Oscar glory
Actor George Clooney calls for boycott of Brunei-owned hotels have 399 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 14, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.