Nearly a dozen people sleeping rough on the streets of the French capital have died since January 1st, according to new figures as Paris announces plans to count the number of homeless in the city. Between January 1st and February 12th, 11 people living on the Paris streets have died. And across the greater Paris region of Ile-de-France there were a total of 18 deaths in the same period, according to the list from Les Morts dans la Rue (Deaths on the street), a collective dedicated to documenting the deaths of homeless people in France. In response to the list, Jean-Christophe Combe, director general of the Red Cross, told Le Figaro that the situation was “not acceptable and not sustainable”. Combe added that the causes of death on the street are multiple and include “hypothermia, chronic disease and addiction”. READ ALSO: Photo: AFP Meanwhile the collective said that a man’s life expectancy drops from 79 to 49 when he is living without shelter. These deaths sometimes relate to the cold but, according to Cécile Rocca, coordinator of the collective: “Deaths can also be caused by suicide, an accident or violence,” she told Le… Read full this story
- Sick Instagram account revealed showing yobs abusing homeless people in the street
- Mayor apologizes after police told homeless people to leave City Hall during rainstorm
- Pope Francis is Treating 3,000 Homeless People to Ice-cream
- A disgraceful number of homeless people are dying while sleeping rough, new study reveals
- What are homeless people supposed to do when it's minus-28 degrees?
- Students hand out McDonald’s to homeless people before painting the town red with Christmas pub crawl
- 'Do you really want to deal with a mass of homeless people?': Megyn Kelly slams Starbucks for its new open-bathroom policy
- 'Do you really want to deal with a mass of homeless people?': Megyn Kelly questions Starbucks' new open-bathroom policy
- New website launched in Fareham to help homeless people get off the streets
- Emergency beds for homeless people as temperatures plummet
'It's unacceptable': 11 homeless people die on Paris streets in just six weeks have 325 words, post on www.thelocal.fr at February 13, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.