Corrine Spry had no way of knowing, on the day Tropical Storm Lee ruined her house seven years ago, that she was about to become part of a radical experiment to transform how the U.S. protects itself against climate change. All she knew was that it had been raining for days, so she’d better get some cash.Spry set out in her car through Sidney, N.Y., a fading village of roughly 4,000 along the Susquehanna River, swollen from the storm and rising fast. On the way home from the bank, she saw firefighters huddled in front of their station. They’d already taken out Sidney’s rescue boat. Spry, who’d lived down the street for 30 years, knew most by name. She pulled over to ask how much time she had. Get your stuff, the firefighters told her, and get out now.A small woman who moves and speaks in quick bursts, Spry rushed home and called in some favors. Pickup trucks soon arrived. She and her husband, Lynn, moved what they could and drove to higher ground. Six feet of water filled her neighborhood, swallowing front porches and flowing into living rooms.More than 400 homes and businesses ended up underwater in Sidney, affecting… Read full this story
- Varney slams 2020 Dems' climate change contradictions: 'Stop ignoring America's success'
- Canada warming at twice the global rate, climate report finds
- EU fails to set tougher climate targets before December U.N. conference
- When outrages become the new normal -- Meanwhile in America
- CORRECTED-Chile's Codelco ditches 'green copper' push, eyes wider mine clean-up in two years
- DAN HODGES: It's the final reckoning: Back Boris Johnson now – or Brexit and the nation dies in a ditch
- Mekong Delta ready for fight against climate change
- Climate change: Antarctic ice might NOT be adding to sea level rise as much after all
- The kids are not all right — they’re angry and scared, but they’ve found inspiration in Greta Thunberg’s climate cause
- Delingpole: Quitting the Paris Climate Accord Is Trump’s Most Important Achievement
The Last-Ditch Climate Strategy of Total Retreat Is Failing in America have 333 words, post on www.bloomberg.com at May 2, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.