Donald Trump spent more than three years trying to establish a “landmark” hotel at the world-famous home of golf, making at least four failed offers for one of Scotland’s showpiece properties, a Scotland on Sunday investigation can reveal. The US president and his children held high-level talks with senior Scottish banking executives to try and take over Hamilton Hall in St Andrews, one of the most prized venues in world golf, which is now home to some of Scotland’s most expensive properties. However, Trump was repeatedly rebuffed in his attempts to secure financing for what would have been his first international hotel venture. The 71-year-old offered to pay as much as £23m to secure the grand 19th century building overlooking the Old Course’s 18th green. But he insisted on receiving a mortgage and loan totalling £38m, a deal financiers deemed “too risky.” One Bank of Scotland executive who met the property magnate at Trump Tower claimed he and his executive vice-president asked the bank to foreclose on Hamilton Hall’s owners, and instead deal directly with the Trump Organisation. The bank executive described such suggestions as “worrying” and “inappropriate,” and expressed concern Trump would hold them to “future ransom.” The unsuccessful… Read full this story
- The Sad Failure Of Donald Trump's Desperate Attempt At A Baseball League
- Carson Wentz Edges Andrew Luck as Two Comebacks Cross Paths in Philadelphia
- In SC primary, ardent Trump backer defeats Rep. Mark Sanford
- The Latest: Trump, Putin meeting privately in Helsinki
- US to hit NATO-ally Turkey over detained pastor, Trump says
- John Fredericks: Anonymous NYT Op-Ed Is Gutless Never Trump Attempt to Get Their Swamp Back
- Johnny Manziel ruined hotel with wine, drank with Gronk during draft visit with Patriots
- Teen charged with attempted murder in connection with St. Paul robbery that turned fatal, charges say
- The Untold Story of Napoleon Hill, the Greatest Self-Help Scammer of All Time
- BREAKING NEWS: Beto O'Rourke QUITS 2020 race as campaign runs out of cash - after launching run on the front of Vanity Fair saying: 'Man, I'm just born to be in it.'
Donald Trump's failed attempts to buy landmark St Andrews hotel have 341 words, post on www.scotsman.com at June 30, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.