Harry Kane had just scored and my son was cheering in his home (about 100 yards from ours) when he glanced down at Facebook. There, on his mother’s timeline, was a big red box that screamed: ‘GO KANE!’ ‘My God!’ Dan said to his wife. ‘Mum’s watching the football!’ It amazed me, too. What I know about football could be written on my thumbnail (which might even be too big) and sport in general leaves me cold. I’m the snooty woman with her nose stuck in a book when all around are cheering on their teams or watching a nail-biting Wimbledon final. To be honest, I always thought of footballers as (mostly) vain, vastly overpaid, slightly sleazy oafs. Scroll down for video England’s clean-cut captain, Harry Kane has a strangely timeless beauty. He has the calm authority that used to be associated with British officers, ready for any effort, any sacrifice But there I was on Tuesday night, nearly knocking over my wine glass as I clutched my head in anguish, raged, yelled: ‘Shoulda been a red card!’, sucked my teeth, dug my husband in the ribs, cheered, groaned, covered my eyes — and finally ran outside (clutching the wine… Read full this story
- World Cup Fast Facts
- World Cup draw: Ronaldo to face familiar foes as Portugal lands Spain
- World Cup 2018, Mexico vs Sweden Highlights: Sweden Beat Mexico 3-0 To Top Group F
- World Cup 2018: Goals, tears and earthquake alerts on the road to Russia
- BEL MOONEY: Why was I so cold and unloving to my dying husband?
- BEL MOONEY: How silly my petty trials of the past now seem
- Geva Mentor talks defensive partnerships, a return to netball and another World Cup
- The women who will make the next Cricket World Cup happen in New Zealand
- England outclass Japan to lift SheBelieves Cup for first time
- England Women prove to be big social media hit during lockdown
BEL MOONEY: I hate football... but England's clean-cut World Cup boys have won over women like me have 313 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 4, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.