11 July 2018 • 9:43pm A World Cup final will have to wait for Gareth Southgate’s England, whose unexpectedly prolonged run in the competition was ended in the semi-finals by Croatia at Moscow’s Luzhniki stadium. Croatia went behind early but took the game to extra time, where it was settled in the second period by striker Mario Mandzukic. England took the lead through their right wing-back Kieran Trippier, whose excellent fifth minute free kick curled into the top-right hand corner of Danijel Subašić’s goal. With Harry Kane and Jesse Lingard spurning chances afterwards, England went in for the break feeling they could have been in a bigger lead. But Croatia emerged for the second half with renewed energy and attacking purpose. Their increased pressure told in the 69th minute when Ivan Perisic guided an excellent Sime Vrsaljko cross past Jordan Pickford. Three minutes later Perisic took advantage of a mix-up at the back to get a shot away which came back off the upright. Croatia looked vastly more likely to score in what remained of normal time, with England visibly rocked by the equaliser and making the sorts of poor decisions and wayward passes that stirred unhappy memories of previous… Read full this story
- World Cup Semi Final, Croatia vs England Highlights: Croatia Beat England To Reach First-Ever FIFA World Cup Final
- France win World Cup after beating Croatia 4-2 in Moscow
- ICC World Cup 2019: Only one batsman ended up in losing side after scoring ton in final
- England World Cup: Furious actor slams 'stupid' female theatre-goers for watching shoot-out on phone during Titanic performance
- U-19 World Cup-winning skipper Prithvi Shaw on his dream date: It would be with my cricket kit!
- England outclass Sweden to advance to World Cup semi-finals where they will face Croatia
- World Cup 2018: Russia's Fairytale Run Ends In Tears
- Countdown to Russia: Socrates’ headband to Stoichkov’s tantrums, we look back at the best No8s in World Cup history
- Panama 0 Northern Ireland 0: England’s World Cup opponents struggle to stalemate with Michael O’Neill’s men as police dog breaks free and invades the pitch
- England run out of steam in Nice as Sweden claim World Cup bronze medal
England out of World Cup: live reaction as Croatia come from behind to end nation's dream have 358 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at July 11, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.