Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai (Rahmat Gul / AP / TASS) Russia has quietly invited a group of senior Afghan politicians to talks with the Taliban in Moscow, bypassing President Ashraf Ghani’s government in a move that has angered officials in Kabul who say it could muddle the U.S.-backed peace process.The invitations, extended over the past two months by Russian diplomats in Kabul, were confirmed to Reuters by six of the eight leaders, who include former Afghan President Hamid Karzai, or their aides, and by other leading politicians with ties to the Afghan government.The Russian Embassy in Kabul declined to comment.Russia in August proposed holding multilateral peace talks in Moscow and invited 12 countries and the Taliban to attend a summit the following month. But the meeting was postponed after Ghani rejected the invitation on the grounds that talks with the Taliban should be led by the Afghan government.The United States had also declined to attend. The U.S. Embassy in Kabul declined to comment further. Read More Russia Postpones Afghan Peace Meeting at Kabul’s Request Three senior Afghan officials said the government was unhappy that Moscow was pressing ahead with plans for talks.”We requested Russia to cancel the summit because… Read full this story
- Afghan Forces Battle Taliban for Control of Western City, Farah
- At least 350 held as anti-Putin protests sweep Russia: Monitor
- Rosenstein defiant as impeachment talk rises
- Key Putin challenger, scores of government protesters arrested across Russia
- Is Russia arming the Afghan Taliban?
- Afghanistan's first female military pilot granted asylum in US after fleeing Taliban death threats
- Taliban Overrun Afghan City, Kill 30 People and Leave
- UK government 'dismally failed' Afghan interpreters who worked for British Army, warn MPs
- Well-armed Taliban battle into west Afghan city in new crisis for Kabul regime despite U.S. air support
- Taliban issue attack warning, ask Kabul residents to stay away from 'military centres'
Russia Reaches out to Afghan Leaders for Taliban Talks, Angering Kabul have 310 words, post on themoscowtimes.com at November 2, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.