US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis announced he was stepping down Thursday night – just 24 hours after Donald Trump was revealed to be pulling troops from Syria. The retired Marine Corps general – a hugely respected figure among soldiers and military chiefs – is to leave his job in February. Trump made the announcement in a tweet, saying that Mattis was “retiring with distinction” and had made “tremendous progress” in the role. Shortly after, Mattis’ resignation letter made it clear that he and Trump – who do not share the same views on keeping US troops in Syria – had parted ways because of policy differences. The US President is pulling 2,000 troops from the war-torn country – after declaring the war against IS won – and is reportedly looking at doing the same in Afghanistan. Mattis’ resignation letter, released by the Pentagon, said: “Because you have a right to a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours…I believe it is right for me to step down from my position.” LatestDRONING ON Gatwick nightmare enters third day after ‘eco-warrior’ sends up drone AGAIN HOUSE OF HORROR Girl, 2, found crawling with lice starved to death by evil… Read full this story
- Defence chief James Mattis resigns over Donald Trump’s order to withdraw troops from Syria, officials say
- Defence chief James Mattis resigns over Trump’s order to withdraw troops from Syria: Officials
- Donald Trump says he cancelled military parade, suggests buying more jet fighters instead
- Donald Trump says he will use military to protect US-Mexico border
- Donald Trump says North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sent him 'extraordinary letter' this week
- Donald Trump says he is withdrawing earlier North Korea-related sanctions
- Donald Trump says meeting with Russia's Vladimir Putin 'even better' than with Nato
- Donald Trump says he would prefer softer tone as president but has 'no choice'
- Donald Trump says Korea's Peace House, Singapore could be Kim Jong Un summit sites
- Donald Trump says he looks forward to second meeting with Vladimir Putin
US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis resigns just 24 hours after Donald Trump says he will be pulling troops from Syria have 332 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 20, 2018. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.