I was 19 the first time marriage was mentioned. My mother told me about a young man whose family had expressed an interest in me, and then she promptly left the house. The realisation that I was of marriageable age was clearly as difficult for her as it was surprising to me. I was a geeky young woman who had never even shaken hands with a man, let alone had a boyfriend. I’d attended an all-girls Catholic school before opting to study science at university. My life was Malcolm X and Maya Angelou, X-Men and Spider-Man; summers were spent at my nani’s house in Karachi, and winters trudging through Yorkshire snow. Bespectacled before it was cool, I was short-sighted in more ways than one, young enough to believe that good things happened to good people. My first husband was 11 years older than me. We met only once before the wedding, but spent the year leading up to the big day talking on the phone. I was in my final year at university. He was a doctor – the ideal profession for a son-in-law – and the eldest of two sons, who had moved to the US from Pakistan after… Read full this story
- Woman whose husband revealed he was gay after 15 years of marriage tells Steph's Packed Lunch that she had 'no inkling' that she'd been 'living a lie'
- Antonia Kidman speaks about her divorce from late ex-husband Angus Hawley in a rare interview - and reveals how her famous family supported her during the separation
- Russian woman, 35, gives birth to baby girl fathered by her 21-year-old stepson - who she married following her divorce from his father, 45, after 10 years together
- 'He sees his future there': Kanye West 'is considering moving to London after his imminent divorce from Kim Kardashian has been finalised'
- Woman finds out her husband was cheating on her after he was caught on camera at a motel with his mistress - whose scorned spouse filmed them and posted the clip on Facebook Live
- Kim Kardashian is 'very cordial' with husband Kanye West amid rumblings of an impending divorce as it is revealed the pair have 'no bad blood'
- Mary J Blige files for divorce after 12 years of marriage
- Amber Heard Drops Spousal Support Request in Johnny Depp Divorce
- Woman ends life by jumping off hospital building in Pune
- Trump issued ANOTHER pardon with less than an hour left of his presidency: Fox News star Jeanine Pirro's tax fraudster ex-husband Albert - who used to represent Donald - is given clemency
Divorce, Islam and me: 'I will for ever be the woman who left two husbands' have 414 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 16, 2019. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.