The US will leave a small “peace keeping” force of 200 troops in Syria for an unspecified amount of time, reversing an order by Donald Trump for a full withdrawal. The president abruptly announced in December that all of the 2,000 US troops stationed in the country would leave, declaring that Isis had been defeated. The decision shocked officials within Mr Trump’s own administration, who argued that it would leave America’s Kurdish allies on the ground vulnerable, and that Isis was not yet truly finished. We’ll tell you what’s true. You can form your own view. From 15p €0.18 $0.18 $0.27 a day, more exclusives, analysis and extras. Subscribe now Mr Trump now appears to have reconsidered the plan, opting for a residual and largely symbolic force to remain in the country. “A small peace keeping group of about 200 will remain in Syria for period of time,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Thursday, offering no more detail. The reversal was welcomed by Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Washington’s ally in the fight against Isis in Syria. The group is on the verge of capturing the last Isis-held territory in Syria, but it warned at the time that US… Read full this story
- Macron Says France Will Stay in Syria Despite 'Our American Friends,' Calls Trump's Withdrawal a 'Mistake'
- Has Isis been defeated in Syria, as Trump claims?
- 193 nations urge action to protect oceans despite US withdrawal from Paris agreement
- North Korea likely making more nuclear bomb fuel despite Trump-Kim talks, report says
- Mike Pompeo Gives Update On How Trump Admin Plans To Deal With Attack On Embassy In Iraq
- Trump’s planned Camp David retreat with the Taliban draws flak from all sides
- White House says 200 US troops to stay in Syria
- At U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Trump’s Middle East Rhetoric Meets Reality
- Trump Thinks of Saving ‘Innocent Civilians’ in Syria Only After Removing U.S. Forces
- Donald Trump files papers to pull US out of the Paris agreement global climate deal
US to keep 200 ‘peace keeping’ troops in Syria despite Trump’s withdrawal plan have 329 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at February 22, 2019. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.