US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has sought to recruit some of the top oil industry guns to serve as Washington’s foreign policy tools to crack down on “bad actors” like Venezuela, Russia and Iran. Addressing the members of IHS Markit’s CERAWeek annual energy conference in Houston, Texas, on Tuesday, Pompeo has divulged what has long been an open secret – that the US is willing to use all its political clout to propel its economic interests and vice versa. Also on rt.com US lawmakers want to put a cork in Russia’s gas pipeline to Europe Pompeo said that American shale oil and natural gas should become instruments to “strengthen” the US’ “hand in foreign policy.” As an example of such intertwined approach, the US top diplomat referred to the crisis in Venezuela, which has the largest proven oil reserves in the world. The Latin American country has seen its economy crumbling under Washington’s stifling economic sanctions for years. Since January, when Washington recognized opposition leader Juan Guaido as Venezuela’s interim president, the US has accelerated its onslaught on the Caracas oil industry, imposing sanctions on its state oil company PDVSA and seizing $7 billion in its US assets. READ… Read full this story
- These Are the Questions Foreign-Policy Experts Are Asking About the Trump-Kim Summit
- Traditional 'foreign policy' no longer exists. Democrats are the last to know
- The Huddle 2020 | Rise of strongmen changing conduct of foreign policy across nations, says Nirupama Rao
- Elizabeth Warren Illuminates the Left’s Foreign-Policy Divide
- Kashmir to remain ‘cornerstone’ of Pakistan's foreign policy
- EU Foreign Policy Chief Calls on Israel to Reconsider East Jerusalem Construction Plans
- Talk is Cheap? EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell Urges Europe to Develop 'Appetite for Power'
- Panel to parse foreign policy and presidential election
- Why Elizabeth Warren’s Foreign Policy Worries America’s Allies
- New EU foreign policy chief to make his first visit to Iran
Pompeo seeks to recruit top world oil execs to promote US foreign policy have 325 words, post on www.rt.com at March 12, 2019. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.