Far-right and Eurosceptic parties have won more European Parliament seats than ever before after voters across the continent left their nations’ rulers with bloody noses. Conversely, left wing and pro-EU Green parties also surged amid the highest turnout in 25 years as the 40-year majority held by the two largest centre-right and centre-left groups of parties was broken. Marine Le Pen’s National Rally inflicted a painful defeat – but not a knock-out blow – on pro-European French president Emmanuel Macron before her party called for a ‘powerful’ group of far-right parties to join forces in the EU Parliament. In Italy, the League party of hard-line Deputy Prime Minister, Matteo Salvini, was one of the biggest winners in the European elections, with soaring support that bolsters his role as the flagbearer of the nationalist and far-right forces in Europe and could also shake up politics at home. ‘The rules are changing in Europe,’ Salvini said at his League party headquarters in Milan early Monday. ‘A new Europe is born.’ The party of longtime German chancellor Angela Merkel, a European Union stalwart, lost ground, although it was the Greens and not the far-right Alternative for Germany that made big advances in her country. Despite making… Read full this story
- Brexit is DONE! Britain FINALLY breaks free of EU rules - with Dover lying deserted on the stroke of 11pm amid warnings of queues and shortages ahead
- Marine Le Pen ahead of Macron's centrist party, say French exit polls
- Has it been a year of hard Labour? New jobs for Jeremy Corbyn's defeated MPs include the boss of a spinners mill, a top political aide, and one STILL doing constituency casework
- Is full Lockdown Mk 3 coming? Keir Starmer demands new national squeeze within 24 hours to stop 'out of control' mutant Covid as Boris Johnson says rules are 'probably about to get tougher'
- 'We will now open a new chapter in our national story': Boris Johnson issues rallying cry to the nation on the day of his historic Brexit deal vote
- EU ambassadors unanimously approve the Brexit trade deal between Britain and Brussels in major step towards orderly divorce on December 31 as MPs prepare to vote on the accord on Wednesday
- Brexhausted! Four Years of Brexit Blunders, Part Two: Night of the Living Deal
- Brexhausted! Four Years of Brexit Blunders, Part Three: First Bedlam, Then Betrayal
- UK fisheries unhappy with EU trade deal
- Happy New Lockdown! Just 4% of Britons say they WILL break Covid rules to celebrate with friends tonight despite government pleas to stay at home as police launch crackdown on illegal street parties and Trafalgar Square is fenced off
'A new Europe is born': Centre majority loses 40-year grip on EU parliament - as hard-right Italian Deputy PM welcomes the result and nationalist parties prosper across the contentment have 426 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 26, 2019. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.