Ankara’s leader made the admission to US counterpart Donald Trump, adding that he did not have any concern over sanctions given to Turkey by Washington. Sanctions had been placed by Trump’s administration following Turkey’s offensive in Syria. According to broadcaster NTV, Erdogan said discussions with the US and Russia over Syria’s Kobani and Manbij towns were “not negative”. Reports also suggest that Erdogan told Trump Turkey would “not negotiate with a terrorist organisation”. Speaking to reporters, he added: “They say ‘declare a ceasefire,’ We could never declare a ceasefire.” But Mr Erdogan did offer a glimpse of hope, saying “we cannot declare a ceasefire until we clear this region”. Those comments were in response to Trump’s offer of mediation in the area. His remarks come after the EU foreign ministers condemned Turkey’s military action in Syria. Last week, Turkey launched an incursion bid to try and drive Syrian-Kurdish fighters away from Ankara’s border with Syria. Brussels claimed Turkey’s move “seriously undermines the stability and the security of the whole region” and was harming civilians. Around 100,000 people have already been displaced by the operation, figures released by the UN show. JUST IN: Syria crisis: Turkey bullies EU into caving in over… Read full this story
- NATO Is Not 'Fit for Purpose' Unless It Acknowledges 'Existential' Kurdish Threat to Turkey, Erdogan Aide Says
- Turkey Sending Armored Vehicles to Border With Syria Amid Tensions in Idlib – Reports
- Turkey not ‘willing to stop’ incursion into Syria, Pentagon officials say
- France’s Macron Accuses Turkey’s Erdogan of Working with Islamic State
- Turkey Condemns Arab League Statement on 'Operation Peace Spring in Syria'
- Trump Reiterates ‘We Keep the Oil’ in Syria Mantra, Says US Can Do With Fuel ‘What We Want’
- 21 die in Syria as airstrike targets market, school shelled
- Erdogan tells Syrian Kurds to leave border area for offensive to end
- The Latest: Senate leaders slam Trump’s Syria pullout
- Turkey says U.S. stalling on Syria 'safe zone', will act alone if needed
Turkey’s Erdogan in horror confession admitting ceasefire will never be declared in Syria have 342 words, post on feedproxy.google.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.