President Donald Trump has singled out a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson in his latest attack on Beijing over the coronavirus pandemic, branding government statements “a disgrace” and blaming the Chinese Communist Party for “pain and carnage” caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.The president did not specify which spokesperson he was attacking, but on Wednesday spokesperson Zhao Lijian criticized Trump for his ultimatum to the World Health Organization (WHO), in which the president accused the United Nations body of capitulating to Chinese pressure and demanded that Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pursue “major” reforms within 30 days or lose U.S. funding.”We think the US should focus on beating #COVID19 rather than give an ultimatum to the organization that leads global epidemic response,” Zhao wrote on Twitter. “Politicizing the origin of the virus has no audience,” he added, referring to international demands for an investigation into the origins and course of the pandemic.Trump tweeted late on Wednesday that the “spokesman speaks stupidly on behalf of China, trying desperately to deflect the pain and carnage that their country spread throughout the world. Its disinformation and propaganda attack on the United States and Europe is a disgrace.”The president added: “It all comes from the top. They… Read full this story
- Fact check: Trump made 87 false claims last week
- Trump urges China to investigate Bidens
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump's premature win on trade, Syria fiction
- 'It was poor judgement on my part': Hunter Biden breaks his silence on his foreign business scandal that engulfed his father but says he 'did nothing wrong at all'
- Chinese backlash to NBA boss's Hong Kong tweet
- Under pressure Trump asks China to investigate the Bidens
- Scheer defends Conservative Chinese Facebook ads saying Trudeau will legalize hard drugs
- North Korea calls on Trump to revive diplomacy
- China tempers hopes about US tariff truce
- “Did We Create This Monster?” How Twitter Turned Toxic
Trump Says Chinese Spokesperson 'Speaks Stupidly,' Accuses Beijing of Spreading 'Pain and Carnage' have 306 words, post on www.newsweek.com at May 21, 2020. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.