Wearing a flowing black gown and a bewildered expression on her face, Swapna Prabha Suresh stood in the wooden dock at the special court of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in Kochi on July 12. The accusations against her were grave. The special public prosecutor spelt out the primary inferences drawn by the agency in the case. Gold in cylindrical form and concealed in plumbing material had travelled in diplomatic cargo to Thiruvananthapuram. The consignment was addressed to the Charge d’Affairs of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Consulate. It had been kept unopened for five days pending Customs clearance at the international airport. The UAE Consulate had denied any knowledge of the smuggling operation. The lawyer suggested that the proceeds from the smuggled gold may have been used to fund acts of terror. Swapna shook her head, mumbled something incoherent, and broke down. P. Krishnakumar, the special judge who presided over the trial, assured her that her version of the story would be heard too. Swapna was inconsolable when the judge remanded her to custody of the NIA.Also read: Kerala gold smuggling case: Swapna Suresh says she acted under instructions from UAE Consulate It was an unusual Sunday in Kerala,… Read full this story
- Tangled web of South Sudan politics spells bleak future
- KER amendment may end up in legal tangle
- Bandicoot, world's first sewer cleaning robot by Kerala engineers, wins Infosys award
- Cops nab couple, who hit elderly woman with hammer, and stole her gold
- Two Kerala Customs officers involved in gold smuggling cases removed from service
- Another Kerala nun accuses Bishop Franco Mulakkal of sexual abuse
- New rules on BIS gold hallmarking are fine. What about my granny's ornaments?
- What's so magical about this tiny island in Kerala?
- Tokyo 2020: The dark web is hacker gold
- Gold worth ₹58.95 lakh seized in two cases
In Kerala, a tangled web of gold have 298 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 25, 2020. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.