Video PlayerClose HONG KONG, Nov. 21 (Xinhua) — Hong Kong on Saturday reported the highest number of daily new cases of COVID-19 in about three months, with the authorities toughening up measures to fend off a new wave of the coronavirus outbreak. The Center for Health Protection (CHP) said there were seven new imported cases and 36 local infections detected on Saturday, including 13 with unknown origins. Meanwhile, over 60 people tested positive for COVID-19 primarily. Head of the CHP’s Communicable Disease Branch Chuang Shuk-kwan said the new cases have been rising rapidly in recent days, and warned of a fourth wave of the epidemic outbreak. In the face of the resurgence of COVID-19 cases, the government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has tightened social distancing measures including banning live performance in bars and nightclubs and suspending in-person learning for grade 1-3 primary school students. To reduce imported cases, the government also raised the threshold for the crew members of flights to obtain exemption of quarantine. Among the new requirements starting Sunday is that they must have a negative testing result within 48 hours and take another test after arriving in Hong Kong. Data showed crew members… Read full this story
- Flare-up of Sino-U.S. tensions over Hong Kong knocks world shares off 22-month high
- Record numbers turn out to vote in Hong Kong's district elections after six months of violent pro-democracy protests
- 1st LD Writethru: Afghanistan releases 3 key Taliban prisoners to exchange kidnapped foreign professors
- 1st LD-Writethru: Chinese shares close lower Thursday
- Borrowing hits monthly high as electioneering 'loosens fiscal strings'
- Hong Kong Protests: Photos and Videos of Massive Crowds and Police Clashes
- Notre Dame suspends spring student programming in Hong Kong
- AP Photos: Once a protest fortress, Hong Kong campus quiet
- The Latest: Hong Kong police urge students to surrender
- Police surround last holdouts at Hong Kong university
1st LD Writethru: Hong Kong's daily COVID-19 infections hit 3-month high have 313 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at November 22, 2020. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.