Maradona craved the spotlight for his off-field activities While Messi is a private family man IMAGE: Diego Maradona with and Lionel Messi. Photograph: Stanley Chou/Getty Images Lionel Messi is the only Argentine to truly live up to being described as the next Diego Maradona so it was little surprise the Barcelona captain should dedicate his goal in Sunday’s 4-0 Liga win over Osasuna to his late compatriot. Argentina’s two iconic players may be contrasting characters but they shared many traits including a bond with Newell’s Old Boys and the Barca captain removed his shirt to reveal the red and black of the Rosario club before pointing to the sky. Messi was born a year after Maradona captained Argentina to World Cup glory in 1986 in Mexico but he was at Newell’s stadium as a fan in 1993 when Maradona made his debut for the club. IMAGE: Lionel Messi celebrates scoring Barcelona’s fourth goal against Osasuna while wearing a Newell’s Old Boys shirt with the number 10 on the back in memory of former footballer Diego Maradona, who recently passed away, during the La Liga Santander match at Camp Nou on Sunday. Photograph: David Ramos/Getty Images Messi’s goal on Sunday was… Read full this story
- Kempes: Messi and Maradona comparisons are nonsensical
- How Diego Maradona redefined football
- Amid Argentina’s Drama, Lionel Messi’s Brilliance Emerges
- Is it Messi's time as yet?
- Messi, Ronaldo exits signal changing of the guard
- Enrique Iglesias wears Ronaldo's jersey on stage and imitates his celebration
- Messi and Ronaldo depart World Cup as new star Mbappe shines
- Lionel Messi's missed penalty hands Iceland first World Cup point
- Messi shares cute video of his sons cheering for Argentina
- Fixing WI-FI is No1 skill for DAD 2.0
Messi imitated Maradona's skills but not his lifestyle have 298 words, post on www.rediff.com at November 30, 2020. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.