It has been a year like no other. Families have been torn apart and long-term plans destroyed, with few able to consider life beyond a few weeks. And yet there have been extraordinary reasons to be hopeful. Deaths from Covid-19 are down by more than a third thanks to innovations in treatment and intensive care techniques. Several safe and effective vaccines have been developed at lightning speed. Meanwhile, scientists have been quietly chipping away at other health problems, too. While the world’s attention was focused on the latest testing fiasco, or the efficacy of masks, the medical community was making remarkable strides forward. From pioneering treatments to help disabled children walk again, to a cure for common blood diseases, to cancer drugs that give terminal patients years extra to live – 2020 has delivered a swathe of advances to be celebrated. So here, we present the best health news of the year… NEW WAY TO BEAT GENE THAT CAUSES ACHONDROPLASIA Thousands of children with a debilitating genetic condition that stops bones growing will now be free from disability, thanks to a revolutionary drug treatment. The disease, achondroplasia, also known as dwarfism, not only halts growth but can lead to spinal… Read full this story
- Cancer treatment: sorting the good news from the hype
- Radio Host Announces She's Cancer-Free Despite Being Diagnosed with Incurable Bowel Cancer
- Portugal’s radical drugs policy is working. Why hasn’t the world copied it?
- Hospice doctor's heartbreaking description how cancer 'stole her dad bit by bit'
- EXCLUSIVE: Pablo Escobar's ruthless assassin 'Popeye' bragged to DailyMail reporter about massacring hundreds for the drug kingpin before his cancer death - as ex Colombian cop says it was his 'dream' to 'watch someone put a bullet in his head'
- Rush Limbaugh's shocking cancer diagnosis sparks flurry of nasty tweets with some even saying they don't care if the conservative radio host dies
- How 'Geordie Lee' became 'The King of Dawlish': Sunderland drugs boss now starting 25 years behind bars fled north-east after threats from rival Mr Big to set up county lines ring in girlfriend's sleepy seaside hometown
- How Does Cancer Treatment Affect Fertility In Men And Women?
- Nancy Pelosi RIPS UP Donald Trump's speech: State of the Union ends in open warfare between speaker and president as he praises his achievements and attacks 'socialism' to cheers of 'four more years' from Republicans - while Democrats walk out in disgust
- Pick up the kids and drink wine – 4 ways to help a friend through cancer
Now here's the good news: Pioneering drugs that almost double bowel cancer survival time are among the medical breakthroughs overlooked in a year of Covid gloom have 407 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 26, 2020. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.