Ask not for whom the plague bell tolls, Boris Johnson. It tolls for thee. A devastating new account of Year Covid exposes the Prime Minister's utter failure to meet the nation's greatest health crisis for a century. His deadly delay in imposing lockdowns caused tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths and brought heartbreak to families in every corner of the land. Driven by Tory ideological obsession about the economy, he made the same mistake not once but three times – largely ignoring the scientific advice he pretended to follow. His lethal trail of laziness, incompetence and over-confidence is laid bare in new book Failures of State, by investigative journalists Jonathan Calvert and George Arbuthnott. They interviewed hundreds of key scientists, members of the Cabinet, doctors, nurses, care home managers, academics and bereaved families. All agree: "the Prime Minister let us down." They also had inside info from a secret Downing Street political adviser, who disclosed the Prime Minister didn't seem to "give a s**t." Pressure is mounting for an early public inquiry into the government's handling of the "war on Covid," as far-reaching as investigations into the Iraq War, Hillsborough and the Grenfell Tower tragedy. Boris Johnson is resisting demands… Read full this story
- Coronavirus RECAP as Boris Johnson says 500,000 people have had vaccine so far
- Britain faces on-off lockdowns for next SIX MONTHS and is just 'weeks away' from return of 'hundreds' of daily Covid deaths as UK records 4,422 new cases in past 24 hours - the highest daily count since May 8
- 'There is movement': Ursula von der Leyen hails 'new beginnings with old friends' amid hopes of Brexit breakthrough as she says talks are in the 'very last mile' - but Tory MPs warn Boris must QUIT if negotiations collapse with No Deal
- It's carry on Christmas! Despite mounting calls for a U-turn, relaxation of Covid rules for festive break are set to stay - but ministers will warn families to stay local... and think twice about seeing granny
- Is Christmas in jeopardy? Ministers discuss tightening festive rules after Matt Hancock raised the alarm about new Covid strain - but experts say UK should keep 'calm and rational' about 'normal virus evolution'
Boris Johnson's Covid failings - deadly delays and making same mistakes three times have 374 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 19, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.