Published 25 March Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Parents will be banned from driving to pick up or drop off their children outside the gates of eleven schools. Newcastle City Council will close roads outside the primary schools between 08:00 to 09:30 and 14:30 to 16:00 in a bid to cut pollution and congestion. The trial will start in the summer term with Northumbria Police enforcing the closures. The council said it hopes the move will motivate more families to walk or cycle to school. The affected schools are: Ravenswood Chillingham Road Hotspur Grange Park Kingston Park Dame Allan’s Sacred Heart Westgate Hill Broadwood Lemington Riverside Farne Residents and disabled blue badge holders will still be allowed access during the closure periods, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said. Kevin McVittie, headteacher of Hotspur Primary in Heaton, said: “The roads around [the school] can become very congested at the beginning and end of the day so we really welcome the introduction of the School Streets scheme as it means it will be much safer for our children and much better for local residents. “The scheme also builds on the messages about healthy living that we give to children… Read full this story
- Australian children to start primary school aged THREE under radical new plans to make kids ready for 'big school'
- More primary school children suffering stress from Sats, survey finds
- Motorist, 36, charged with manslaughter after horrific crash that saw a boy, 12, killed outside a primary school was 'serving a suspended sentence for driving under the influence of drugs'
- Anti-obesity programmes in primary schools 'don't work'
- Year 6 pupils spend Easter at school cramming for Sats
- Every English school to become an academy, ministers to announce
- Schools minister denies Sats place undue stress on pupils
- Parents banned from playground amid concerns children's independence is being stifled
- Nigeria’s education shame: How the north is tackling challenge of out-of-school children
- How I went from Tony Blair's adviser to free school head
Newcastle primary schools to launch parent driving ban have 318 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at March 25, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.