A vacant building dating to the 1870s in downtown Donaldsonville that once served as the city’s general store is being redeveloped into mixed-use residential and commercial space expected to open next year. The developers giving new life to the Lemann Building on Mississippi Street across from the levee in Donaldsonville are Kevin Kelly, owner of Houmas House and Gardens in Ascension Parish, and New Orleans-based developer James Neville. The development will be a mixed-income, mixed-use project of 42 units of “artist preferred” housing, meaning a preference for artist residents, and 7,600 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor. “Its completion in early summer 2022 will surely begin a rebirth of downtown Donaldsonville,” Neville said in a recent statement. Other Neville projects, all in New Orleans, include G.O. Mondy School Apartments in the 7th Ward; Blueberry Hill Homes, in the Lower Ninth Ward; Liberty Place Apartments in Uptown and Roman-Bienville Homes in Mid-City. Neville’s partner in the Donaldsonville project, Kevin Kelly, purchased the Houmas House Plantation mansion and grounds in 2003, turning it into a popular destination for weddings and other events and featuring restaurants and a bed-and-breakfast in the small community of Darrow on the east bank of… Read full this story
- Won't you be my neighbor? Acoustics play a big role in mixed-use developments
- Regal brings IMAX to Albuquerque mixed-use development
- A couple restore two historic buildings in downtown Chaska, one to live in, one for parties
- Historic Dallas Morning News building sold to developers with track record of big deals
- Ground broken for cyber-tech company Tenable's downtown Columbia building
- A new pitch for high-rise housing, offices for prime downtown St. Paul bluff
- Historic Preservation or Just Ripping Out a Way of Life in Beijing?
- New downtown Stillwater hotel, set in a historic brewery, gets national attention
- Final City for Champions project to be split between Switchbacks and Colorado College
- Detroit's Heidelberg Project gets headquarters in neighborhood
Historic building in downtown Donaldsonville to be repurposed for mixed-use project have 311 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at April 12, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.