Germany’s performance was dubbed “embarrassing” after they suffered their first World Cup qualifying defeat for 20 years in a humiliating 2-1 home loss to North Macedonia which heaped pressure on coach Joachim Loew. “The disappointment is huge,” said a crest-fallen Loew after the final whistle in Duisburg on Wednesday. “This is a set-back. There were a lot of mistakes and we didn’t find a way to break down the deep-standing North Macedonians. “We also let them counter-attack and had no grip on the game.” Napoli midfielder Eljif Elmas scored the winner five minutes from time after Ilkay Gundogan’s penalty had drawn Germany level following 37-year-old striker Goran Pandev’s first-half opener. The German press were quick to put the boot in. “How embarrassing!” fumed daily Bild on their website. “Nasty Surprise” said football magazine Kicker while Frankfurt-based daily FAZ opted for “Rude awakening for the German team”. The four-time world champions have never failed to qualify for football’s biggest tournament, but did not enter the inaugural edition in 1930 and were banned in 1950. However, Loew’s men are already languishing third in the Group J table, three points adrift of leaders Armenia and behind North Macedonia on goal difference. “The fact… Read full this story
- World Cup qualifiers: Vietnam - Indonesia match broadcasting rights cost record price
- World Cup qualifiers: Security to be tightened for Vietnam-Malaysia match
- Iranian women enjoy World Cup qualifier as Tehran lifts decades-old ban
- Park Hang-seo unveils roster for World Cup qualifier against Malaysia
- World Cup qualifiers: Vietnam wins against Malaysia
- How to watch Thailand-Vietnam clash in World Cup qualifier
- Vietnam tightens security at stadium for FIFA World Cup qualifier against Malaysia
- Ticket prices for Thailand-Vietnam World Cup qualifier go through the roof
- Lovren admits he and Reds' teammates suffering 'World Cup hangover'
- Coach Park unveils final squad for World Cup qualifiers against Malaysia
'How embarrassing': Germany suffer first World Cup qualifying loss in 20 years have 301 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at April 1, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.