Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan (R) said Monday he will not seek reelection in 2022, foregoing what was expected to be a bruising primary campaign due to his criticism of former President Trump Donald Trump Former Sen. Heller to run for Nevada governor Overnight Defense & National Security — Milley becomes lightning rod Joint Chiefs Chairman Milley becomes lightning rod on right MORE . Even before his announcement on Monday, Duncan appeared unlikely to take up a reelection bid. He has found himself on the receiving end of Trump's ire after rebuking the former president's false claims of a rigged election, infuriating many Georgia Republicans who remain loyal to Trump. In a statement, Duncan addressed the tension within the GOP, describing the party as being at a crossroads in the wake of Trump's presidency. He said that he would not seek reelection next year and would instead focus on "healing and rebuilding a Republican Party that is damaged but not destroyed." ADVERTISEMENT "It always feels coldest right before the sun rises. I believe that is the exact moment in time the Republican Party is caught in right now, and I am committed to being a part of creating those better… Read full this story
- We Won’t Know How Bad Georgia’s Voter-Roll Purges Were Until It’s Too Late
- Indiana GOP aiming to take some mayor offices from Democrats
- Pinkerton: Beyond Impeachment, Health Care Remains the GOP’s 2020 Weak Spot
- Filling the Empty Seats at the F.E.C. Won’t Fix America’s Corrupt Elections
- McCrory won’t run for NC governor; will consider Senate bid
- Abbott launches re-election bid, says 'liberals are trying to mess with Texas'
- "Disenfranchised": Former South Carolina Rep Sues State GOP For Canceling 2020 Primary to Shore Up Trump Nod
- Governorship election: How Bayelsa fell to APC
- Trump's Dingell insults disrupt GOP unity amid impeachment
- Ex-Lt. Gov. Fischbach runs against US Rep. Peterson for 7th
Georgia's GOP lt. governor won't seek reelection amid election backlash have 319 words, post on thehill.com at May 17, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.