England’s nationwide lockdown could last until the end of March in some areas, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday in the British Parliament. Johnson’s statement came hours after he said that relaxing the nationwide measuressix weeks earlier was a possibility, with a review expected in the middle of next month. “The restrictions will be kept under continuous review, with a statutory requirement to review every two weeks and a legal obligation to remove them if they are no longer deemed necessary to limit the transmission of the virus,” he said. Johnson also promised to inoculate the top four priority groups with the first jab by mid-February. Britain is still assessing the US-developed Moderna vaccine, which the EU approved on Wednesday, Johnson’s spokesperson said. The UK reported 1,041 new deaths from the virus on Wednesday — the highest tally since the peak of the pandemic in April. A record 62,322 COVID-19 cases were also registered in the last 24 hours. Watch video 12:06 Share Getting the vaccine to everyone, everywhere Send Facebook Twitter reddit EMail Facebook Messenger Web Whatsapp Web Telegram linkedin Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3miIJ Getting the vaccine to everyone, everywhere Europe Germany recorded a total of 1,019 deaths and over 21,200 new COVID-19 infections, according to the latest figures from the Robert Koch Institute, Germany’s public… Read full this story
- MERS Coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia increases to 480, including 139 deaths
- MERS Coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia increase to 480, with 139 deaths
- Egypt sentences 683 to death in another mass trial
- The will to live
- NATO chief flies to Ukraine amid Russian troop buildup fears
- 13 of the most notorious crimes in American history
- Meet the power players who help Evan Spiegel run Snap Inc.
- ‘TV is the new online’: Why a bunch of online media empires suddenly want to get on the box
- Katy Perry, personalised superyachts, and Russian spies: inside the crazy life of London property tycoons the Candy brothers
- Is going abroad the only way?
Coronavirus digest: UK reports highest daily COVID deaths since April have 318 words, post on www.dw.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.