Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg China has blocked Wikimedia Foundation’s bid for observer status at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) on Oct. 5, according to the non-profit that hosts the Wikipedia domain. This is the second time it has done so since the San Franciso-based foundation’s first application in 2020. Yesterday, China blocked the Wikimedia Foundation’s application for observer status at @WIPO , the @UN agency for intellectual property. This objection interferes with our mission to strengthen access to free knowledge everywhere. (1/2) https://t.co/LKIW0iAnY3 — Wikimedia Foundation (@Wikimedia) September 24, 2020 Wikimedia further said that exclusion from WIPO would impede Wikipedia’s ability to provide millions of people with information in their own languages. WIPO, which is currently headed by Singaporean Daren Tang , promotes the protection of intellectual property worldwide. Accused Wikimedia of carrying out political activities via Wikipedia Taiwan According to the foundation, other countries like Switzerland, Turkey and Australia supported the group’s inclusion as an official observer, and it did not name other countries that supported China’s veto. China had claimed that Wikimedia’s application was incomplete, and that the foundation was conducting political activities via the Wikimedia Taiwan chapter. Beijing’s delegate also said… Read full this story
- YouTuber draws China fire for calling Taiwan leader 'president'
- India, China likely to discuss border issues in Agra: Report
- Defence White Paper 2016: Dependency on fuel imports 'a risk' amid South China Sea tensions
- Taiwan Probes Visa Scam Allowing Visits by Chinese Officials
- China's second aircraft carrier 'Shandong' enters service as Beijing boosts military firepower amid escalating tensions with self-ruled Taiwan and the US
- Taiwan's tea party aims to burst Beijing's one-China bubble
- China: We will be on Mars by the end of 2020
- US Companies Walk Fine Line When Doing Business with China
- China Expected to Keep Its Exact Claim to Disputed Sea a Secret
- Japanese manga about a Uighur woman's persecution in China becomes viral hit
China blocks Wikimedia from UN agency over Taiwan issue for second time have 319 words, post on mothership.sg at October 30, 2021. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.