Yerica Lai (The Jakarta Post) PREMIUM Jakarta ● Thu, November 24 2022 President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has given a nod to lawmakers' controversial dismissal of Constitutional Court justice Aswanto and the appointment of Guntur Hamzah as his replacement, setting what civil groups say is an alarming precedent that undermines the independence of the judiciary. Guntur, previously the court's secretary-general, was appointed by the House of Representatives in late September to replace Aswanto, a two-time House appointee who was supposed to end his tenure in 2029. Aswanto’s removal drew accusations of legislative overreach, as prevailing laws do not grant lawmakers the authority to remove a justice. They stipulate that a justice can only be dismissed by a presidential decree in response to a request from the court's chief justice. to Read Full Story SUBSCRIBE NOW Starting from IDR 55,500/month Unlimited access to our web and app content e-Post daily digital newspaper No advertisements, no interruptions Privileged access to our events and programs Subscription to our newsletters We accept Register to read 3 premium articles for free Already subscribed? login Or let Google manage your subscription
- Our writers give their verdict on Boris Johnson’s new cabinet
- Who are the Muslim Brotherhood?
- Women Could Face Death Penalty for Having an Abortion Under Proposed Texas Law
- The Latest: Obama would ‘welcome’ Russian focus on IS
- The Latest: Large police operation under way in Paris suburb
- The Latest: Hannover stadium evacuated, soccer game canceled
- The Latest: Soccer fans in London show support for Paris
- The Latest: French jets carry out new airstrikes against IS
- The Latest: 2nd stadium in Germany city is evacuated
- The Latest: Suicide bomber stole ID cards in Belgium
Jokowi gives nod to controversial removal of constitutional justice have 273 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at November 24, 2022. This is cached page on wBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.